Historic Photos

Donate

First All Saints' Church built 1875.

PHOTO (ca. 1875): This was the first Anglican Church (All Saints) in Palmerston North, built 1875 on the same site as the present building. It was incorporated into the second, larger church erected in 1882. The third, All Saints Church, was built in 1913-1914. (Source: Palmerston North Libraries and Community Services.)

 
All Saints' Church picnic.

PHOTO (ca. 1901): The horse-drawn vehicles are standing outside the second All Saints Anglican Church, in use 1982-1914. Alongside the wooden church can be seen the former Borough Council building and in the distance is the distinctive wooden clock tower of the Occidental Hotel, which stood on the corner of Fitzherbert Avenue and The Square. Picnics were a common social activity and the annual church picnic an important event. (Source: Palmerston North Libraries and Community Services.)

 
Second All Saints' Church built 1882.

PHOTO (no date): The first Anglican church on this site was constructed in 1875. When it proved too small the first building was turned and used in the construction of this church. It served the community from 1881 – 1914, when the third and present brick church was built. At that time this building was moved to the back of the site and used as a Sunday School and hall until it was burnt down in 2007. (Source: Palmerston North Libraries and Community Services.)

 
Second All Saints' Church built 1882.

PHOTO (ca. 1910): The wooden church on the right stood on the site of the present brick All Saints’ Church. It was constructed in 1882 and replaced by the present church in 1914. In 1910 it was moved to the rear of the site and served as church hall until 2007 when it was burnt down. (Source: Palmerston North Libraries and Community Services.)

 
1910 Preparing to move the second church.

PHOTO (ca. 1910): This wooden All Saints Church encorporated the original 1875 one, on the same site, in 1882. In 1910 this building was moved back, placed sideways on the section, and adapted for use as the Sunday School. It was replaced by the present brick All Saints Church. In 2007 it was destroyed in a fire. (Source: Palmerston North Libraries and Community Services.)

 

Donate